Wednesday, January 14, 2015

DIY #1: Chalkboard paint and mason jar mugs

For some reason I really wanted to spread some Christmas joy this year but couldn't afford to be all that generous, #brokecollegestudentproblems. So once I bought chalkboard paint... nothing within arms length was safe from me swiftly transforming it into cute chalkboard-paint-covered things. The brand I used is specifically for china and is called "Pebeo Porcelaine 150". It's water based and non toxic so I've seen people use it on top of serving trays and on rims of mugs but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I ended up painting stripes on porcelain mugs (not photographed) and little rectangles on glass mason jars and containers. First, I cleaned and dried the mugs. Then I used painters tape to mark up the designs. This was particularly difficult on the medium sized porcelain mugs because I couldn't get perfect lines. This project might be easier with smaller cups or a simpler design lol. After taping, shake the paint before applying it. I used one coat of paint on the porcelain mugs and used three coats on the glass jars. For best results, wait 1-2 hours in between each coat to ensure the chalkboard is as smooth as possible. Remove the tape before it dries to prevent the paint from peeling off with it. Finally, let it sit for 24 hours before baking at 300°F for 35 minutes. After it's baked it becomes dishwasher friendly!

I ordered the paint through Amazon, a week before Christmas, so I expected to pay more for shipping but it usually costs around $11. I bought 4 mason drinking jars for $10 and the glass container for $3 at Target. And finally I found the gift tags and string from Home Goods for less than $5 but honestly you could make those yourself (I had a gift card so I didn't feel so bad for buying it). I repurposed my old black and white prints as notecards to include the types of teas and brewing instructions. Plus, I'm a big tea drinker so I killed two birds with one stone by buying some new Tazo teas to try and give away (Gingerly Jasmine and Iced Passion Tea not shown.) Overall, I was satisfied with how they turned out and happy I  got to do this project before the new year ended!

The last touch on the gift was figuring out what to write on the mugs. Choosing "create" served as a reminder to my friends, and ultimately a message to myself, to keep the right side of the brain more active this upcoming new year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets their ideas for projects during those moments of solitude with morning coffees/teas. With this mug, you can write your goal for the day or an inspirational quote and it won't leave your mind even after your morning fuel is done. This gift was personal and allowed me to start one of the many crafty and joyful Christmases  I look forward to sharing.

 
 
 
 

No comments: